For more than 45 years, HJ Arnett Industries has manufactured top-of-the-line instruments used by over 500 utilities. The “Beast of Burden” products are the standard for troubleshooting service issues and neutral issues.
The “Super Beast” products help utility troubleshooters identify if their service drop is providing proper voltage/load. The efficient use of the Beast products will quickly identify if customer complaints are on the line side (utility) or consumer side.
This device displays analog readings, indicating the condition of the secondary service conductor. The analog meters are slightly less accurate than the digital meters (+/- 1V).
- Indicates problems on secondary service
- Detects open neutral quickly, and accurately
- Isolates and identifies overhead or underground complaints on utility side (line side)
- Product is very durable and portable, allowing for efficient troubleshooting.
- Verifies condition of secondary conductors and associated connections (see points of connection diagram download)
20 Amp Secondary Service Conductor Tester (Line Side)
Analog readings quickly and accurately display the condition of the secondary service conductor, with and without the load.
Within seconds, a troubleshooter can tell if the conductor is open, resistive, or functioning properly, even when temporary or intermittent faults may mask a deteriorating conductor. The Super Beast Analog is also capable of verifying the installation of new service connections to ensure proper voltage supply.
Voltmeter Test Jacks: The banana jacks on the front panel are used as test points to measure A.C. voltage with a digital voltmeter or analog meter. The white test point (neutral, ground) is common to both the red and black test points on the Super Beast meter; connect it to the common of the digital voltmeter. To measure the voltage across the right meter, simply touch the other lead of the digital voltmeter to the “Right Conductor” test point on the Super Beast face plate. Repeat the process with the “Left Conductor” to measure voltage across the left meter.
3-Phase Application: The Super Beast can be used effectively on 120/208 volt 3-phase Wye systems using a Portable Meter Base Adapter as follows:
- Connect clips of the adapter to neutral, line 1 and line 2.
- Take readings on line 1 and line 2.
- Move on clip lead from either line 1 or line 2 to line 3.
- Take readings again. Interpret the results the same as for single phase operation.
*Note: The Super Beast is not designed for use on 120/240 volt 3-phase delta, because 208 volts are present between ground and “High Phase” of a standard 3=phase delta system.
Super Beast Analog Downloads:
- Super Beast Digital Brochure
- Super Beast Digital Operating Instructions (Large PowerPoint file)
- Secondary Service – Points of Connection Diagram
- Service Conductor Testers – Quick Product Guide
- Super Beast & Mega Beast- Sample Readings
- Arnett Product Catalog 2017
Super Beast Repairs
Arnett services all Super Beast testers.
If you would like repair work done or a repair quote (evaluation fee applies), print off the form below, and send it to this address:
- Attn: Repair Department / Mike
- 20460 SW Avery CT
- Tualatin, OR 97062
Repair parts are available for purchase, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for pricing and availability.
WARNING: Cancer and Reproductive Harm – www.P65Warnings.ca.gov