Cable Fault Finder
Includes everything you need to accurately & efficiently locate underground secondary faults.
For more than 45 years, the Pinpointer has saved substantial time and money for hundreds of major electrical utilities, PUD’s, and contractors across the USA. Highly accurate, user friendly, and dependable.
No costly, unnecessary digging:
- • Earth gradient method ignores phantom images.
- • Highly accurate and reliable – trusted by utilities for over 45 years!
- • An economical locator solution. Works in all conditions.
- • Cable proof-test instantly determines whether cable is good or bad.
- • You don’t even need to know the exact route of the cable.
- • Easily stored in a utility truck; rugged and durable.
- • 2500 VDC Pulse
- • Variable sensitivity detector (adjustable)
First, De-energize & Disconnect Service:
Whether the cable from the transformer serves one or more residences, pull all meters affected by the faulted cable. Disconnect the faulted cable from the transformer if the voltage on the cable is 80 volts or more. Disconnect the neutral at the transformer and house meter. Disconnect any temporary service from the house.
Connecting the Transmitter – Power Options:
120VAC Power: With transmitter power switch OFF, connect line cord to 120VAC wall outlet.
2-Wire AC Adapter: Connect at the meter base using the 120 VAC adapter cord. Always connect white wire to netural first, black wire is connected to 120VAC at a wall outlet.
12V Battery: If AC power is not available, connect Pinpointer using 12V 2-wire cord. This cord allows connection to any 12VDC battery, such as a truck or auxiliary battery.
*Optional Rechargeable Battery Kit: Built into the instrument case.
Connect the Detector:
Pull the “Balance” control on the back panel to power the Detector. With “Sensitivity” control at minimum, adjust “Balance” control to move meter needle to center of scale. Push Battery Test button to check battery status. Plug red and black detector probe wires into respective jacks on back detector panel. Clip probe wires to probes. Hang detector around neck. With right hand, insert red probe into ground near meter riser or the ground stake, depending on what you’ve chosen.
Connect to the Faulted Cable:
Connect red transmitter lead to the faulted cable at meter base. Push the ground probe provided into the ground at right angle to the lay of the faulted cable. The ground probe should be placed as far away from the faulted cable as possible. Connect the black transmitter lead to the ground probe. After making the above connections, turn ON transmitter high-voltage output.
Operator stands behind probes, so that red probe is toward the transmitter. When the transmitter pulses (audible), the detector’s needle moves in direction of the fault on buried cable. Close to the meter riser or location of established ground rod, the detector shows every transmitter pulse. Proceed down the route of the buried cable “football chain” fashion, taking readings every 20 to 30 feet. As you move down the cable the meter deflections may decrease. This is the “silent detector” feature which prevents locating phantom faults caused by “noise” from adjacent lines. The needle’s movement increases again near the area of the fault. Continue probing.
Included with The Pinpointer:
- The Pinpointer Transmitter
- The Pinpointer Detector
- Detector Cables (Red & Black)
- Grounding Probes with Extensions (Red & Black)
- 2-Wire, 12V Battery Power Supply Cord
- 2Wire, 120VAC Power Supply Cord
- Rugged, Durable Protective Housing
- Operations Manual
A-frame Adapter for The Pinpointer (optional)
- Make underground secondary cable-fault locating even easier, when you pair the Pinpointer with the A-frame Adapter. The Pinpointer detector easily attaches to the A-frame with two screws and pre-wired banana plugs.
Rechargeable Battery Kit (optional)
- If you are out in the field and do not have access to a power source such as a truck battery, you can add an optional rechargeable battery kit to your Pinpointer to power the transmitter.
- Electric Utilities/PUD’s/COOP’s
- Electrical Contractors
- Oil Fields
- Irrigation Systems – Golf Courses, Agriculture, Etc.
Tags: secondary fault finder, secondary fault locator, power cable fault finder, power cable fault locator, electrical fault finder, underground fault locator